Is your DPO conflicted?
The BIG topic on DPOs: Conflict.
Join us in this Privacy Kitchen Coffee Break with Tom McNamara, Founder & CEO of Apex Privacy and the Data Privacy Podcast, as we discuss DPOs and conflict under GDPR and the tension with market practice!
Internal v External
In this session, we’re asking:
- Are in-house DPOs ever independent?
- Can external DPOs still be conflicted?
We’ll look at market practice and how the role has developed, including:
- Is there a better understanding of the role – and title – now?
- Any lessons from lawyers, MLROs and others?
- What do clients want – and need – at the moment?
- How are Data Protection practitioners responding?
And, of course, we’ll deal with Brexit!
- Has Brexit changed DPOs in the UK?
Art 29 WP, WP 243 rev.01, Guidelines on Data Protection Officers (‘DPOs’), Adopted on 13 December 2016, As last Revised and Adopted on 5 April 2017
EDPS Position paper on the role of Data Protection Officers of the EU institutions and bodies 30 September 2018
UK ICO Guide to DPOs
German DPA fine re IT Manager, 2016
Belgian DPA fine re Head of Audit, Risk & Compliance, 2020